Skip to main content

So you want to be a foster parent?

God has called you and you have chosen to say yes. First CONGRATS & second, I'm sending you a virtual hug. The deep hug of understanding. This road is not easy. There are days of deep heartache, but there are also days where God says "this is why you're in this, why I have chosen you & why you are and will continue to struggle with them through this season"




A few things you might want to know:

1. The waiting can seem endless. Unexplained. Weird. But the waiting is not in vain.

2. When you finally say yes, if you happen to have honeymooning, enjoy it, but know when it ends it's going to feel like a Thor type hammer smacking you in the face.

3. Imagine your child (if you are already a parent) going into foster care. I don't know about you, but that helps, because I can only imagine the way my kids would act if they were thrown into the world of foster care.

4. When you have a child or children there will be times where you feel like you are fill in mom for their siblings, friends, parents, etc, it's all a part of this gig.

5. You are the parent. You may not be bio parent. But for all things you are the fill in parent and possibly the last parent they will have. Advocate for them. Your worker doesn't know the day in & day out. Believe it or not, you have a lot of say in the case plan. You will often feel the last to know things, but when it comes to decisions, speak up!!! 

///bonus...go through an agency. These case workers are ridculously over worked. Like R I D I C U L O U S L Y - going through an agency means you have a team of people who don't just want to best for the children in your home but are your support team.

Comments

  1. How do you go through an agency? I've never heard of that besides when people are opting to foster with the intent to adopt. Can you tell me more about that? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is how it works for us: http://unfadinggrace.blogspot.com/2014/06/if-you-want-to-know-how-child-is-placed.html

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Influence Link Up

Hello if you don't know me I'm Katie I {obviously} blog here and you can find my instagram & twitter ---> Two things in my bag: 1. My cute little notebooks I found at Target and a variety of pens. I love pens. No seriously, you should see my pen + sharpie box.  2. My phone. I am a HUGE picture taker. I love taking pictures and using all the fun picture apps and posting pictures. If you love taking pictures come find me, we can have some instagram fun!!!  Two things I'm looking forward to: 1. Hugs & coffee with friends. Friends I've never technically met. Friends that I will never forget, that will be hard to leave, that just get me. 2. Learning. Learning more about who I am. About the amazing way God created me as a woman. Learning from all these wise women that live with realness and grace. Being filled with His word. See you in 2-ish weeks!!!

The Influential Women Link Up

Today is the Influential Women Blog Link up. If you are a part of the Influence Network -- get on it!!! Honestly at first I didn't think I would link up, me, influential?! I don't think so. But I am. God uses me daily and will continue to use me.  - - - - - - - - -  Three Things About Myself: 1. I love Taco Night. If you already know me personally you would know this about me. But seriously I love it! And let me tell you I can put some tacos back. Our best friends and us have actually started Taco Tuesday so on Tuesdays we make tacos. Now we're just at a point of trying to make it a healthier Taco Tuesday. 2. I love music so much. I love to dance. I love to sing. I love to be surrounded by music. If you stop by my house there's a 95% chance you will hear music being played. I love Pandora because I can just put on whatever station for the mood I'm in.  Current favorite Pandora stations: Kari Jobe (I don't think that'll ever change), Jerem

Girl Behind The Blog

Its link up time Of all the link ups I've been involved with this is my favorite! Melody // Dance Parties In The Rain Rachael // Kincaid Parade Rachel // Finding Joy Come link up with  Ashley  and  Nadine for this month's Girl Behind The Blog