Skip to main content

On therapy + the little green pill

A little over a year ago I was busted.
All the hurt, the pain and everything that I tried to navigate on my own came unhinged.
A few words from someone that verified what I had feared all my life,
That I was not wanted. 
And suddenly I was spiraling.
My pieces were scattered all over the floor 
And this time, no matter how he tried, Douglas could not try and pick them up and place them back together.
Douglas was working with a woman that is a licensed therapist and he reached out to her for contacts.
For years we talked about my need for counseling, but there were two major excuses, money + time. 
It no longer mattered.
I still tried to say the excuses but at this point those were beyond lame and the need was far greater than the excuses.
And then one day I drove 15 minutes down 71 and to a little white office and waited to talk to a woman I had never met.
And we talked. And the next week we talked. And the following.
Suddenly things were getting really hard.
God was busting up so much. 
I had heard about the pruning but never really walked it out.
Here I was in the middle.
Pruning + therapy + everything being busted up makes things really hard.
I started wondering if being his wife and their mom was any longer worth it.
Because sometimes to get to the good, the shit has to come out.
And the shit came out.
Then suddenly, things were happening.
I was finding healing + freedom from some hard relationships and hard memories and that hard loss of that sweet little baby.
While going through counseling and change and growth we also discovered my depression.
And then came the little green pill.
I was sick at the thought of possibly needing to take medicine because of all the junk around medicine with mental health.
Douglas went with me to the doctor. 
We talked about what happens.
And then we talked about options.
The thing that changed my perspective is when she told me that most women will choose birth control over and anti-depressant because of the stigma.
That was the point I said no.
I will take the damn anti-depressant because I don't need to live in shame. 
Because a few days a month I need to take a little green pill so that I don't spend days contemplating how to kill myself.
I take that little green pill because I would rather thrive than be filled with obsessive thoughts of how to end this wife and mother.
And because if I can choose to live brave + in freedom then maybe another woman can choose to also.

I know who my ultimate healer is 
I know I won't be on this forever.
But for now I'm super thankful for therapy and that little green pill.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Influence Link Up

Hello if you don't know me I'm Katie I {obviously} blog here and you can find my instagram & twitter ---> Two things in my bag: 1. My cute little notebooks I found at Target and a variety of pens. I love pens. No seriously, you should see my pen + sharpie box.  2. My phone. I am a HUGE picture taker. I love taking pictures and using all the fun picture apps and posting pictures. If you love taking pictures come find me, we can have some instagram fun!!!  Two things I'm looking forward to: 1. Hugs & coffee with friends. Friends I've never technically met. Friends that I will never forget, that will be hard to leave, that just get me. 2. Learning. Learning more about who I am. About the amazing way God created me as a woman. Learning from all these wise women that live with realness and grace. Being filled with His word. See you in 2-ish weeks!!!

The Influential Women Link Up

Today is the Influential Women Blog Link up. If you are a part of the Influence Network -- get on it!!! Honestly at first I didn't think I would link up, me, influential?! I don't think so. But I am. God uses me daily and will continue to use me.  - - - - - - - - -  Three Things About Myself: 1. I love Taco Night. If you already know me personally you would know this about me. But seriously I love it! And let me tell you I can put some tacos back. Our best friends and us have actually started Taco Tuesday so on Tuesdays we make tacos. Now we're just at a point of trying to make it a healthier Taco Tuesday. 2. I love music so much. I love to dance. I love to sing. I love to be surrounded by music. If you stop by my house there's a 95% chance you will hear music being played. I love Pandora because I can just put on whatever station for the mood I'm in.  Current favorite Pandora stations: Kari Jobe (I don't think that'll ever change), Jerem

Girl Behind The Blog

Its link up time Of all the link ups I've been involved with this is my favorite! Melody // Dance Parties In The Rain Rachael // Kincaid Parade Rachel // Finding Joy Come link up with  Ashley  and  Nadine for this month's Girl Behind The Blog